Manage Chronic Sinusitis with a Balloon Sinusplasty
Sinusitis is a very common sinus condition affecting the nasal passages, that prevents easy breathing through clear passageways. Sinusitis is actually the swelling and inflammation of the sinuses, which therefore causes the improper drainage of mucus. This can then eventually lead to an infection (or sinus infection). In order to provide relief, patients can have a balloon sinus dilation to help treat chronic sinusitis, which is indicated by symptoms that last three months or longer.
What is Balloon Sinus Dilation?
Balloon sinus dilation is performed under local anesthesia and involves small balloons placed in the nose and sinus openings. Your ear, nose and throat specialists will reshape your sinus pathways by inflating the small balloons to ensure proper drainage. Opening the channels allows for instantaneous drainage of built-up mucus that has been congesting the sinus cavities. Following the procedure patients are free to return to their normal activities in as little as two days, however, you should avoid blowing your nose for 24 hours.
What are the Benefits?
- A balloon sinuplasty procedure typically only lasts about one hour and has immediate results.
- A local anesthetic is used to numb your nose to keep you comfortable during the procedure.
- A practical and quick solution that offers long-lasting relief for those with chronic sinusitis.
- Involves little downtime, you can return to regular activities within one to two days.
- May reduce medical costs on prescription and over the counter medication.
If you feel that your chronic sinusitis is becoming difficult to manage, a balloon sinusitis may be a good idea for you. If you feel like you could benefit from this easy outpatient procedure, contact your Alabama ENT Specialist today.